Friend of the Court
About the FOC
The Friend of the Court (FOC) is a statutorily created agency of the Circuit Court that assists the court with its domestic relations docket. The FOC assists the court by helping resolve domestic relations disputes, and enforcing the court’s orders for custody, parenting time, and support as outlined here.
The Iosco County FOC office is located directly north of the Iosco County Courthouse, in the Annex Building.
Friend of the Court Duties
When parents cannot agree, or when directed by the judge, to conduct investigations and make reports and recommendations to the court regarding:
- Parenting time (which may include transportation)
- Amount of child support (including medical support and/or spousal support
- Offer dispute resolutions, when both parents agree to participate, as an optional way of settling disagreements over custody or parenting time of children
- Provide enforcement services on all custody, parenting time, and support orders entered by the court
The Friend of the Court has no authority to do the following:
- Investigate abuse and neglect
- Change an order without consent of the court
- Investigate criminal activity
- Give legal advice to either party